Like most people you’ve probably received a piece of promotional merchandise from a completely random company at some point, even if it was only a pen. If your experiences have been anything like mine, you’ve never given the merchandise or more importantly the company, a second thought if it wasn’t relevant to you. As with any sort of marketing it’s crucial to identify people who actually impact your business before investing in them!
- Evangelists- These are your version of Apple Fanboys. They love your product and they loudly proclaim to all and sundry how awesome it is. Send these people a gift and you’ll hear about it. More importantly so will everyone else.
- Disgruntled Customers- They happen; fix their problem and send an apology gift. It’s a time honored tradition.
- Beta Testers- These people do work for you… usually for free. They make you better. Enough said.
- Potential customers who have visited your website- They know you, clearly they are looking for something. Use swag to start a conversation.
- Potential customers you’ve engaged in conversations.
- Potential customers at an industry specific event.
- People on your newsletter list.
- Direct employees- These are the people who make your vision happen and keep the world going round. Reward them for a job well done, anniversaries, and for goodness sake don’t make them a walking billboard unless they are manning your booth at a trade show or going on a field trip.
- Vendors- Those people you pay who do wonderful work for you. These are contractors and companies, reward them for a job well done.